Woman kept alive for six days with no lungs


A woman was kept alive with no lungs for six days while she waited for a transplant in April last year.
It is thought to be the first operation of its kind in the world and she was kept alive with a small, artificial lung.
Melissa Benoit, who lives in Canada, had developed life-threatening complications as a result of her cystic fibrosis.
She said: “In my mid-20s I started developing lung infections, and I acquired influenza with this bout which put me in respiratory distress.”
Melissa was given hours to live, until doctors undertook the pioneering surgery which she was told had a “small chance” of saving her life.
“I had to live on life support with no lungs for six days while I awaited suitable donor lungs. There was a lot of excitement when I came to, that, wow, this actually worked and we saved her,” added Melissa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gareth's loose hair

Nigerian Senator Owns Up To Sextape

What you need to know about the Lunar eclipse